Jitter Press Submission Guidelines
BackgroundEach issue features both new and established writers. We accept all kinds of horror fiction and nonfiction under 4,000 words. We also accept dark verse (poetry). We aim to frighten our readers. All submissions ought to focus on terrorizing the reader. Issues are published online and in print.
It's still free to submit!Many excellent journals charge fees for either online or offline submissions (or both). We all understand those funds are needed to send contributors a copy, or otherwise generate income. More than 70% of journals today do not pay anything. These types of practices are understandable, but frustrating to writers.
Fortunately, at Jitter Press general submissions are still free.
Publication RewardsAll journals have some financial strategy to stay afloat, and those decisions are often difficult trade-offs.
What are our trade-offs?
By submitting, you are acknowledging these terms.
1. By submitting, you are asserting your work is available to print and has not been previously printed elsewhere. You maintain all future-use rights to your work.
2. You affirm your submission is your own creation and no part of your submission is in the public domain.
3. You may submit up to 5 times each issue. (Please separate your submissions.)
4. You may withdraw any submission prior to acceptance by logging into the submission manager. Once accepted, you will need to contact us to withdraw a submission.
5. Some of our readers have expressed concerns about profanity. While general editing is expected, profanity is likely to be edited. Submitting stories with profanity is allowed, and some profanity is tolerated. By submitting, you are signifying that you understand and are open to our editorial discretion as it relates to profanity.
We do not charge you to submit your work.
Being gross is not the same as being horrifying. We aim to frighten readers, not gross them out.
We do not charge a reading fee for general submissions.
We prefer you limit your submissions to 5 per month.
Remember to separate your submissions.
Simultaneous submissions are fine.
One token payment allowed per issue.
Token payments are currently $1.50 for everyone, and $10.00 for submissions marked as "Editor's Choice."
Cash payments are paid by PayPal to any address you designate.
Subscriptions to Jitter Press online are awarded after paperback publication.